Friday, January 24, 2014

The Life of a Preemie Mom

It's amazing how quickly things can change. One minute I'm happily (okay as happy as you can be growing a person) pregnant and the next I'm being hospitalized for high blood pressure and informed that they are considering taking my baby at 25 weeks. I've never been more afraid in my life. My sweet girl was not ready to come into the world and I was going to do anything in my power to keep her in. After a 10 day hospital stay, and enough Bp drugs to take out a horse I was released on bed rest. 
One month to the day of being hospitalized, I had a general doctor's appointment and informed my doctor of pain in my sides, she didn't think it was anything to worry about but to satisfy a crazy pregnant woman obsessed with preeclampsia, she took labs. At 11 pm I got a call telling me to get back to the hospital. I was in multi system failure and my platelets were at 61,000--- apparently that's low--- my blood was not going to clot. I didn't learn any of this until after my c-section 5 hours later. My sweet baby was born at 658am and weighed 2.6 lbs. I was stuck in bed for the first 24 hours and did not meet her until she was 2 days old. Luckily my husband kept me sane through this entire ordeal and now we spend our evenings watching over our girl in the NICU. 
These are my experiences, feelings and my daughter's progress during our stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment