Monday, February 22, 2016

A Grateful Heart

Have you ever had one of those weeks where nothing goes right??! Last week was that week. Let's start with the minor junk.....
I owe money to the IRS... yeah, you heard that right... OWE.
Our heat went out Thursday night. Bah.
And the icing on the cake... I woke up Friday morning wanting nothing but a Dr. Pepper. I've seriously cut back on the regular Dr. P's but I just had to cave and have one. I drop McKenna off at the sitter and arrive at the gas station, guess what they're out of? Oh yeah. So I had to settle for Mt. Dew and it's just not great in the morning after you brush your teeth.

Disclaimer: The next portion of my post is based on my opinion only. This is my blog and this is how I feel. 

I knew that being a mommy of a preemie would present difficulties, I knew this. I've said this before. The NICU rep discussed things with us before McKenna was born but honestly I was on a completely different planet. If anyone else has experienced Magnesium Sulfate, you'll understand. Mag is generally given to keep someone from having a seizure. Mag was the reason everyone hated me for a brief period of time, my hospital room was 55 degrees in the middle of winter and I was sweating. It's funny now, not so funny then. So yeah, this is what I was on while some representative was trying to explain things to me. Nothing made sense. hashtag-  preeclampsia and HELLP problems. We received the difficult news this week that McKenna is behind in speech. It was a hard blow but we'll pull through it. It's so hard when you see these people with perfect pregnancies. To the girl with the swollen ankles and puffy face who spent her entire pregnancy whining about said ankles and face but who gives birth to a perfectly healthy baby; at least you don't have to watch your baby grown in a heated box. To the momma of 3 and her children are driving her up the wall, be grateful that you could have 3, some people don't even get the opportunity to have 1. I say these things to not only remind every one else how grateful they should be but to remind myself. I have a beautiful little girl and if the biggest setback we face is a little speech therapy then we're going to be just fine.


This weekend I took a wild notion and decided to bake. I pulled a recipe off pinterest called Sweet Corn Spoon Bread.
1 box of jiffy corn bread mix
1 cup of sour cream
1 can of regular corn
1 can of cream corn
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup of butter aka 1 stick melted.

Mix all together and bake on 375 for 30-45 minutes. It's a great side dish and really scratched my baking itch.


I'm going to close with a quote from James E. Faust: A grateful heart is a beginning of greatness. It is an expression of humility. It is a foundation for the development of such virtues as prayer, faith, courage, contentment, happiness, love, and well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment